Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Golden Compass: His Dark Materials

The Golden Compass by Phil Pullman was, to say the least, an interesting read. I had seen the movie previously, but the movie had never caught my attention. It was entertaining while I was watching it, but nothing of what happened actually stuck in my brain. The only thing I remembered from the movie was the fact that there were polar bears...though that may only be because polar bears happen to be my favorite animal.

Anyway...

The book was riveting. Everything that happened seemed to fly by--not in an inconsequential way, but in a grab-me-by-my-hand-and-take-off-running kind of way. I know it is meant for a younger audience than myself, but even at 23, I enjoyed multiple aspects. It was a book that really got me thinking about coincidences and if fate actually exists. I was impressed by the deep thoughts this book provoked. I am on the second in the series at the moment, and it is speeding by even faster than the first. That is a rare find in a series of anything. Most second books can't quite meet the standard of the first, but here I am almost finished with it already!

On a side note, I am looking for suggestions for books to read. I tend to get into a rut of only reading things I think I want to read instead of listening to the advice of others on what I should lose myself in next. So, if any of you have suggestions, please convince me to read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment